IVF Treatment Costs
The table below provides an estimate of expected out-of-pocket costs for fertility treatment at TasIVF for a couple who have already reached the Medicare Safety Net threshold during the calendar year in which they are undertaking fertility treatment, and who have private health insurance.
- IVF Treatment Costs
Treatment Patient Fee Estimated Out-of-Pocket Costs
(Subject to Extended Medicare Safety Net Rebates)*
Simplified IVF First Cycle $6,437 $2,181 - $995 Simplified IVF Subsequent Cycles
(No theatre & anaesthetist fees apply)
$6,854 $857 Standard IVF First Cycle $7,186 $2,331 - $1,744 Standard IVF Subsequent Cycles
(Hobart only. Additional theatre & anaesthetist fees may apply)
$7,255 $1,288 Standard Frozen/Thaw Embryo Transfer $2,241 $1,456 - $742 Stimulated IUI $1200 $660 Embryo/Semen/Egg Storage (6 months) $200 $200
*Your particular circumstances including whether you have reached the Extended Medicare Safety Net (EMSN) threshold, will determine your final out-of-pocket expenses.
- All estimated out-of-pocket costs assume patients have already reached the Extended Medicare Safety Net.
- Final out-of-pocket expenses for Healthcare Card holders may be lower.
- Fertility treatment costs exclude consultation costs.
- Patients should also allow approximately $200 for medicines relating to their IVF or ICSI cycle.
- If you have Private Health Fund insurance please contact your fund to check your level of cover for IVF procedures. You will then need to contact Hobart Specialist Day Hospital at Melville St to confirm your Out-of-Pocket costs. Please note approximately $500 anaesthetist fees will also be payable. Theatre and anaesthetist fees are not applicable for Launceston or Hobart patients undergoing Simplified IVF.
- Some Hobart patients may also be recommended Blastocyst culture for IVF cycle, which will incur an additional $652 charge. Speak to your fertility specialist for more information.
- Storage fees are paid in advance and are non refundable.
- Tas IVF payment options
TasIVF requires payment on Day 1 of the cycle, but we process Medicare claims on the day of procedure, so you get your rebates paid into your bank account within three business days of the procedure.
Your TasIVF treatment fee is claimable under Medicare. However, Medicare doesn't rebate the entire fee, leaving a gap, or out-of-pocket costs to be paid. You may also be eligible for partial reimbursement of some of those out-of-pocket costs under the Extended Medicare Safety Net (EMSN) scheme.
Full Upfront Fee
The key advantage of the ‘full upfront fee’ payment option is that you will receive your rebates quickly and with minimal fuss. On day one of your cycle you pay the full fee which would be approximately $7,000. TasIVF then submits your claim to Medicare on the day of your procedure. Medicare will deposit your rebate, including any EMSN rebate, directly into your nominated bank account within 2 days. Most patients pay the account with their credit card and the rebate is deposited into their account by Medicare during the interest free period.
Accessing your Superannuation
Accessing your Superannuation for fertility treatment is an individual choice. TasIVF is happy to introduce SuperCare, an external services provider which assists both individuals and their families in accessing superannuation to cover medical costs.
SuperCare can facilitate funding required for various fertility treatments including:
- IVF & ICSI
- Donor program services (including donor sperm and eggs)
- Fertility presertvation (including egg freezing)
SuperCare is the only organisation in Australia which is dedicated to assisting people in accessing their Superannuation fund for medical treatment, with a primary goal to help create and support healthy families by relieving financial stress and tension. Patients using SuperCare’s service are supported through each step of the application process by a dedicated consultant, helping them achieve an easy and efficient result.
Patients just need to contact SuperCare directly to enquire. This can be done by visiting the SuperCare website: mysupercare.com.au
Approval of early release of super is required before commencing treatment, please refer to the Health and Human Services Website.
- Medicare and IVF
Most IVF services we provide attract a Medicare rebate that leaves only a residual out-of-pocket cost. The Extended Medicare Safety Net means up to 80% of your out-of-pocket costs may be covered, but this will vary according to your individual circumstances and how much you spend on eligible medical services during a calendar year. There may also be additional costs if you don't have some form of private medical insurance.
Before commencing treatment, patients should confirm with Medicare that they are registered for the Extended Medicare Safety Net (EMSN). To be eligible for a Medicare rebate, you must ensure the referral from your usual doctor to a TasIVF clinician is current (GP referrals are valid for 12 months and Specialist referrals are valid for 3 months).
- Electronic funds transfer details
Westpac Banking Corp
BSB: 037 001
Account Number: 684415
Account Name: TASIVF Pty Ltd
Reference: ‘Your Name’
For more information on the costs of treatment with TasIVF, please phone 03 6212 7700 or email us.